Thursday, January 26, 2012

Who Needs a Name Brand?

In 2004, I called my brother, Bart, on Thanksgiving Eve. He was shopping at CompUSA and told me that they were having a killer of a sale. So, I sped to our local store and he was right. One of the items on sale was a Protron DVD player for only $19.99. The player was a nice slim design, had a ton of features, and was "progressive scan," whatever that means.


Could a DVD player that cheap be any good? Whoever heard of Protron???? I hesitated for a nanosecond and then asked a salesperson what the limit for purchase was. He said that there was no limit.......whaaaat? Although slightly worried that CompUSA was trying to dump a bad product, I bought four of them. We gave one to my dad; one to Mandy and Mark; we kept one; and brought one to a Christmas party with a couple of DVD's attached where it was "stolen" over and over and over.


Protron is a little hard to say and we always laughed about the name. When getting ready to watch a DVD, P r o t r o n displays all the way across the screen until the DVD is inserted. It's funny.


I am one of several movie-holics in my family, so our DVD player takes a LOT of abuse. On Monday evening, after over SEVEN years of faithful service, the Protron bit the dust. Sad.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

You brought one of those to the Christmas party? What an awesome idea! I totally would have fought over it. So, you're in the market for a new DVD player? Have fun shopping! (Or I guess you can just use your Wii.)

Barbara said...

Actually, I already had a brand new small-model player in a box in the closet. I knew that the Protron should be on its last legs so, being the movie-holic that I am, I felt I had to have a back-up. Is that called "spaving?"

Bonnie said...

Such a good, plan ahead shopper!