Sunday, January 29, 2012

Saturday in Granite Bay

Usually, Saturdays are work days at home. Today, because my boss couldn’t go, I attended a Technology Conference at Granite Bay High School in Roseville. Conferences are usually a mix of really good and really bad workshops. In fact, I brought my iPad with me in case there were long boring breaks or uninteresting workshops. NOT today!

I arrived early enough to check in, eat a bagel, drink my requisite water, and peruse the workshop list. While checking in, I noticed a special three-hour workshop to enhance curriculum by creating relevant content activities for iPads that students would use in the classroom. The hitch was that you had to bring your own iPad and pay an extra fee. I had my iPad, so I paid the fee.

The dynamic, entertaining keynote speaker was the Executive Director of Computer-Using Educators (CUE). That was followed by y first workshop, where I learned ways to maximize the use of our document readers. In my second workshop, I learned o set up “blended” classroom training where students attend school only three days and do online study and assignments the other two days.

Lunch consisted of a yummy taco salad bar, and I met, sat and chatted with a principal from Yuba City.

By far, my third workshop, the iPad workshop was the favorite. I sat by a great classmate in the iPad class who taught me additional things about my iPad. The three-hour workshop was worth every minute and every penny. No one even wanted to take a break!


The day went by fast because I was thoroughly engaged in the sessions, I was served great food, and I met new people,

To finish off a great day, I met Mark and Theresa in Roseville for a quick dinner before heading home. Fun!