Monday, January 30, 2012

"Dad Day" 2011


January 29, 2011--the 6th anniversary of Bill’s death—the kids call it “Dad Day.” We usually go to the Sugar Plum to have breakfast at Bill’s favorite dive followed by a visit to the cemetery. This year it fell on Sunday, so we didn’t go to the “Plum” and decided dinner together would be a great substitute.

Among Bill’s ultra favorite dinner meals were lasagna, meatloaf, and crab. I didn’t plan ahead very well this year. First, I invited Ed for dinner but, alas, he had another commitment. Then, in checking the pantry for dinner fixings, I discovered the cupboard was bare because I didn’t get to go to the supermarket on Saturday (see the Granite Bay post). After talking with Mandy this afternoon, we decided to make Bill’s favorite breakfast for dinner: orange juice, pancake sandwiches, breakfast meat, and fruit.

After a trip to the cemetery, Alex cooked pancakes. I cooked sausages, made a fruit salad, and fried eggs. Omi made hot chocolate and set the table. The 47’s came over, Sarah said the prayer, and we enjoyed a scrumptious “Dad Day” meal.



Where the time has gone? Six years and it still feels like yesterday. I ask myself if I will feel this way every year…

I am blessed with the knowledge of the plan of salvation and so grateful that Bill and I took steps to create an eternal family.

4 comments:

CA Poppy said...

Thank you for this loving tribute to a great husband, father, and man. We, too, are big fans of the "Plum."

Hugs and Kisses,

Alan and Michelle

Mandy said...

Yum!! I'm glad you copied my dinner. Your pancake looks amazing! I should have smothered mine in butter...

Barbara said...

Yeah, Mandy; Sunday was a free day--eat anything you want. That melted butter on those pancakes was sooooooo yummy! Will took one look at the over-hard eggs for the pancake sandwiches and said, "I don't want those eggs."

beth said...

I love your blog barbara! I have to get used to reading it!! Sarah and I are cuddled up in bed enjoying it! However she looked at the picture of Bill and said,'is that uncle Jim?'. I said,' no it's your papa.'. She said, 'My papa?'. We need to look at more pics of Bill with her!!!