Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bacon

I love bacon. Who doesn't? The saltiness, the crunchiness....yum! Bacon and eggs, BLT's, bacon tots, spaghetti carbonara.....double yum! Today I saw a picture of bacon and my mind immediately went back to 1970. One Friday night, after playing cards at a former sister-in-law's house, we were hungry. She said she'd make a quick breakfast for us before we left. Out came the bacon, eggs, and a cast iron skillet. She quickly fried the bacon until it was crispy. Then, shockingly, she didn't clean out the pan to cook the eggs. Instead, she cracked each egg directly into the bacon grease and began spooning the hot grease over each egg, cooking the eggs on both sides at the same time. Whaaaat?
I had never seen such a thing. She toasted the bread and soon we were ready to eat. It was the most delicious breakfast I'd ever eaten. I can almost feel my arteries clogging up thinking back about that time.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

OOooo! Eggs cooked in bacon grease. That sounds delicious!

Bonnie said...

My mom use to do that. Yikes, but yummy. Remember when we could just eat things and not have to think about all the crap that happens in our heads now? The Good Ole Days! Gone forever. Progress..? I wonder. People seem to just die anyway. Part of the plan. Sometimes I think boomers think they can alter His plan somehow. I think there are a lot of surprised dead people if you know what I mean...